Mopria Print Service FAQWhat is Mopria Print Service?
Since the introduction of Android KitKat, Google has been providing native print capability on the Android platform. Unlike Google Cloud Print, native print capability allows applications to print directly to devices on the local area network without having to go through the cloud. Mopria Print Service is an application designed to leverage this native print capability to provide more enhanced functionality to printers and multifunction products over and above Google’s basic native print services.
Mopria Print Service is a mobile printing solution that enhances the print functionality and with this service, you can connect and print to any Mopria-certified printer without additional setup. For instance, if you find yourself in need of printing to a variety of different printers from different manufacturers, for example, in your place of work or perhaps at a friend’s house, Mopria Print Service can save you the hassle of installing yet another manufacturer’s printing application and learning a different user interface every time you are faced with the need to print to a new device.
- A smartphone or tablet with the Android Operating System, version 4.4 or later
Your Android smartphone or tablet may be able to be upgraded to Android KitKat (4.4) or later. Check your phone settings to update your device.
- A printer, MFP, or print accessory that is Mopria certified
The list of printers is growing every week; go to the Mopria Certified Printers page to see the latest. Your printer at home or at work may already be included in this list; manufacturers are continually certifying older models. A printer accessory may be able to add the mobile print capability to your printer.
- A wireless network (not a requirement for printers that support Wi-Fi Direct when combined with Android devices that support Wi-Fi Direct)
The mobile device and printer must be connected to the same network. Depending on the type of device, to connect to a wireless network, click the Wi-Fi icon. You should now see a list of available networks. To connect to a network, simply click on its name. If it’s a secure network and it’s the first time you’re using it, you will need a password. Be careful if you connect to unsecured wireless networks. Mopria Print Service uses mDNS to automatically discover your printer either through the local 802.11 wireless network or directly, if the printer includes Wi-Fi Direct®.
Note: Mopria Print Service is not supported through public wireless networks such as public Wi-Fi hotspots, Bluetooth connections, or on cellular 3G or 4G data connections.
mDNS resolves host names to IP addresses within small networks that do not include a local name server.
802.11 is an evolving family of specifications for wireless local area networks (WLANs) that specifies an over-the- air interface between a wireless client and a base station or between two wireless clients.
If you installed Mopria Print Service from the Google Play Store, it can easily be uninstalled by clicking “uninstall” on either the Mopria Print Service app page or in the Android application manager.
- See the FAQ “How do I remove / uninstall the Mopria Print Service from my device?” above.
- Refer to Google Play Help: Uninstall, disable, and delete apps
- If neither resource helps, please contact your device’s manufacturer.
Mopria powers the Samsung Print Service that enables users to print directly from their gallery, email, browser and other apps with print capabilities. Instead of having to download manufacturer-specific printer apps, the Mopria-enhanced Samsung Print Service allows a single download step, then provides intuitive printing.
The list of printers is growing every week; go to the Mopria Certified Printers page to see the latest. Your printer at home or at work may already be included in this list; manufacturers are continually certifying older models.
- Go to Settings > Printing and enable Mopria Print Service.
- Make sure the mobile device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the printer.
- A list of Mopria-certified printers available on the network, and for use with print-enabled apps, appears.
Many native Android apps currently support printing, including Chrome, Gmail, Photo, and Drive. Additionally, other popular apps available in the Google Play Store include the print feature. You can view a selection of apps that support printing on the Mopria Spotlight App Wall.
When there are multiple print services installed on your device (e.g., Mopria, Google Cloud Print, etc.), or if the printer has Wi-Fi Direct enabled and the printer is also on the same network as your mobile device, the printer may be displayed twice on the printer list. You may be able to resolve this issue by filtering down to one active print service through the print settings menu or by disabling one of the Wi-Fi connections.
- Verify that your mobile device is on a wireless network.
- Verify that your printer is on the same wireless network.
- Verify that Mopria is enabled.
- Verify that your printer supports Mopria Print Service.
- Verify that your printer has been properly set up to enable Mopria.
If you have done all of the above, and you still cannot print, try the following:
- Make sure that the printer is turned on. If the printer is on, turn it off and then on again to see if this resolves the issue.
- Make sure that the wireless access point/router is turned on. If it is on, turn it off and then on again to see if this resolves the issue.
- Make sure that the printer is connected to the same network as your Android device.
- Make sure that the printer has paper in the tray, and that ink or toner is not empty.
- Make sure that there are no error messages on the printer control panel.
- Make sure that the printer has the latest firmware version installed.
To connect via Wi-Fi Direct, you must enable Wi-Fi Direct mode in your printer. Please refer to the printer manufacturer’s support page for details. If necessary in your mobile device, select the Wi-Fi network name and enter the password (it will be the same credential as used in your setup, when you enabled Wi-Fi Direct on your printer).
- Go to Settings > Printing.
- Select Mopria print service.
- Tap the 3-dots icon and choose "add printer".
- Tap the "+" icon to add your printer.
- Enter your preferred printer name and printer IP address.
If you prefer, add your printer manually during the print flow:
- Tap the printer you want.
- Tap “All printers”.
- Tap the “+” icon (you may need to scroll to the bottom of the printer list first).
- Tap “Mopria Print Service”.
- Enter your preferred printer name and printer IP address or Host name.
Printers may be grayed out if they were previously discovered on a network that is currently out of range, are offline, if they cannot be discovered, or if they are currently powered off.
While a print job is being sent to the printer, a print dialogue box displays the most recently used application list. After the print job completes, the information is no longer available.
From the printer control panel: Tap the “Cancel” button.
From the Print dialog box: Tap the “Cancel” button.
If your mobile device or computer does not support Wi-Fi Direct printing, you must switch temporarily from a local wireless network to the printer’s Wi-Fi Direct connection. This Wi-Fi Direct connection is for printer use only. Be sure to reconnect to your local network when you’ve completed printing to access the Internet again.
After you’ve established a Wi-Fi Direct connection with your printer, your mobile device or computer might maintain that connection after you turn the device or computer off and on, or leave and then move within range of the connection again.
If you cannot connect to the Internet, confirm that you are connected to the name of your local wireless Internet connection in your network or wireless settings.